Green Eggs and Ham March 2, 2007Posted by jak in Creative Writing, Life, Poem, Poetry, Writing.
- I do not like them in a box.
- I do not like them with a fox.
- – by Dr. Suess
Today is the birthday of a great writer and one of the first poets I ever read, Dr. Suess. A true genius when it came to connecting to children, he would of been 103 today.
Interesting fact: Though Theodor Seuss Geisel (Dr. Suess) himself said many times “Seuss — rhymes with voice“, his name has universally been mispronounced as rhyming with “juice”, a grand irony for a writer who built his legacy on odd rhymes.
- You’re wrong as the deuce
- And you shouldn’t rejoice
- If you’re calling him Seuss.
- He pronounces it Soice.
- – by friend and colleague Alexander Liang
Here’s to you Dr. Suess, for inspiring creativity and a love for reading in so many American kids. And on behalf of us all, I apologize for butchering your name for so long.